[council] Letter to Fadi Chehadé and Stephen Crocker August 26th, 2014

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Letter to Fadi Chehadé and Stephen Crocker August 26th, 2014
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:17:13 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I’ve been wondering about this letter for a couple of days now
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/cooper-et-al-to-chehade-et-al-26aug14-en.pdf),
 and am asking Jonathan and everyone else what the procedure is for the GNSO
(or GNSO Council) to sign off on it.

I would imagine that a motion and a vote would be necessary, and I imagine that
it would have been received positively by the majority of Councillors, but I
don’t recall a discussion taking place. I’m thinking there was either a
discussion I’ve completely overlooked, or a procedural issue I’m not aware of.

To be honest, I wasn’t very much in favour of having the NCSG sign off on this
letter when it was discussed at the stakeholder group level (and I don’t
believe the NCSG did actually sign off on it despite being listed as a
signatory). That is not to say that I am particularly happy with the way the
Accountability Process is moving forward, but would have preferred if there was
a more concrete reason to request a delay in the process than to simply
formulate questions. Speaking for myself, I think the reconsideration request
filed
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/request-bc-rysg-ncsg-29aug14-en.pdf)
 served this purpose more eloquently.

I only mention my personal preference in the substantive merits of the letter
to clarify my personal thoughts, but my question is a process question
irrespective of the actual contents of the letter.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Amr