[council] RE: Salary increase to $900,000 for ICANN CEO

  • To: "Phil Corwin" <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "bc-private icann.org\ \(bc-private@xxxxxxxxx\)" <bc-private@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] RE: Salary increase to $900,000 for ICANN CEO
  • From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 15:25:58 -0700
  • Cc: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phil,

This is pretty much a "by-the-numbers" approach to setting Mr. Chehade's
salary.  In fact, with an FY15 budget showing about $170 million US in revenue,
studies show it could have been a couple hundred thousand more.  I am sure the
Board feels it has exercised discretion. This is reinforced by the fact that
the CEO has to hit his performance marks to reach the total.

Mr. Chehade has publicly committed to letting the community participate in his
performance review, but I have not yet seen the invitation.  If I sound
skeptical, it is because I am and because, even though the compensation can be
easily justified by what others in his position make, it ignores the potential
moderating effect of a likely supply of existing talent who would no doubt be
equally able to get the job done.  This is a common problem for businesses who
seek to measure continuity by executive terms of service rather than investing
in a shared commitment to the mission.

Here in the U.S., baseball uses a performance measure called "Wins Above
Replacement" (WAR) to assesses the value of a player. It seeks to answer the
question: "How many wins does a player create over-and-above the number of
games his team would win if he were replaced?"  Really good players are at 5 or
6 WAR, the superstars are at 10.  I wonder what Fadi's WAR would be?

Cheers,

Berard

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [Bc-private] FW: Salary increase
to $900,000 for ICANN CEO &raquo; The Milathan Post