[council] IDN Variant Project Update: first version of Maximal Starting Repertoire released

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] IDN Variant Project Update: first version of Maximal Starting Repertoire released
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:54:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Councilors,

On behalf of my colleagues who are supporting ICANN¹s IDN Variant Project,
I¹m pleased to share with you recent news of the release of the first
version of the Maximal Starting Repertoire (MSR-1), a critical step in the
implementation phase of IDN variant TLDs:
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-06-20-en

As you know, in order to support IDN labels in the root zone, ICANN
developed a Procedure for the creation of Label Generation Rulesets (LGR)
for a number of specific scripts, to create and manage rules applicable to
IDN labels in the root. The LGR for a particular script is to be created by
an LGR Panel for that script; the Arabic panel has already been seated and a
number of other script communities are working to create other panels. MSR-1
is the first Deliverable under the LGR Procedure, and constitutes the
defined set of code points from which individual LGR Panels will construct
their rules for each script.

The next update to the GNSO Council and community on IDN variant
implementation is being scheduled for the ICANN meeting in Los Angeles. In
the meantime, we will continue to provide you with further updates as they
become available, so as to enable you and your groups to prepare for the LA
meeting and further discussions with the IDN Variant Project staff.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director