RE: [council] RE: Protection IGO/INGO Identifiers in All gTLDS

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] RE: Protection IGO/INGO Identifiers in All gTLDS
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:47:48 +0000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Sent: jeudi 24 juillet 2014 14:32
To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

FYI.

Jonathan

From: Cherine Chalaby [mailto:cherine.chalaby@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 July 2014 13:18
To: Jonathan Robinson
Subject: Protection IGO/INGO Identifiers in All gTLDS

Dear Jonathan,

On behalf of the ICANN Board New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC),   I write to
follow up on our letter of 16 June 2014 regarding Protection of IGO/INGO
Identifiers in All gTLDs and the advice from the GAC in its Buenos Aires
Communiqué addressing the same topic.

We understand that the GNSO has initiated a PDP on Curative Rights Protections
for IGO/INGOs.   This PDP is closely related to the issue of IGO/INGO
Identifiers and will have an impact on how the NGPC ultimately addresses the
GAC's advice. We would be grateful for a briefing by the GNSO on the progress
of this PDP, including current status and projected timeline for completion.

Finally, to the extent that it would be helpful, the NGPC would be pleased to
provide a briefing (oral or written) to provide greater clarity on the GAC's
advice and expectations with respect to protections of IGO-INGO Identifiers. If
you have any specific questions, please send those as well as they could help
focus the briefing.

We appreciate the GNSO's hard work in developing policy recommendations and
look forward to our continued discussions as we work together on this matter.
In the meantime, we note that the temporary protections afforded to IGO
acronyms remain in place while we continue our discussions.

Best regards,
Cherine Chalaby
Chair, New gTLD Program Committee