Re: [council] [NCSG-Discuss] Obituary Alain Berranger

hi all,

Alaine was a very good friend in addition to being a wonderful colleague.  i’m
writing this with tears in my eyes.  i will miss him.  a lot.

mikey

On Feb 7, 2014, at 6:21 AM, Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> FYI
>
> De : Rafik Dammak [
>

> Hi Glen,
>
> unfortunately I am sharing bad news about Alain passing away. I think that is
> important to inform GNSO council , just to remind that we all are volunteers
> and human beings , and such event dwarf any issue or disagreement.
>
> Best,
>
> Rafik
>

> 2014-02-07 marie-laure Lemineur <mllemineur@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Alain Berranger sadly passed away shortly before Christmas 2013 after a long
> illness.
>
> Within the GNSO he was better known as being the first elected Chair of
> ICANN's Not-For-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency (NPOC) from 2011
> when the Constituency was first formed, after ICANN 41 in Singapore, until
> July 2013. He was originally appointed as the Acting Vice-Chair in 2011, and
> later won the Constituency's first elections.
> He rose to the challenge successfully.  Today, NPOC is what it is because of
> Alain’s continuous effort to strengthen the Constituency. He truly believed
> in the key role Not-for-Profits should and could play in the GNSO and the
> ICANN ecosystem as a whole. He strove to strengthen its Executive Committee
> by recruiting new members and constantly encouraged them to contribute to the
> policy issues at hand. His commitment to the NPOC mission was reflected
> through the numerous Working Groups he joined and actively participated in
> while he was Chair.
>
> His professional achievements outside the GNSO are numerous.  After
> completing his Bachelors degree, he joined Noranda Inc. and then worked for
> Touche Ross Daihatsu, Tecsult, as well as for Dominion Bridge. Alain served
> as Vice Chair of the Executive Committee at the Global Knowledge Partnership
> foundation from 2009 to 2011, moving on to become a member of the Board. He
> was an Executive-in-residence at Schulich School of Business at York
> University in Toronto. Alain also filled the position of Vice Chair of the
> Canadian Foundation for the Americas for two years and from 1996 to 2006 he
> acted as Director of Partnerships and Business Development for the
> International Development Research Center of the Canadian Government.
>
> Much of his career was focused on international development. To that intent,
> he worked with aid agencies, management and engineering consulting firms, as
> well as with the private sector. He travelled extensively, undertaking
> assignments for Expedia in Mexico, Microsoft, the Omar Dengo Foundation and
> the CRUSA Foundation both in Costa Rica, UNDP in Egypt and Vietnam, the
> Chasquinet Foundation in Ecuador. He conducted training in strategic
> partnering and resource mobilization for civil society, foundations,
> government and development agencies.
>
> Whilst we deeply mourn his passing, we should remember that Alain gave us
> numerous reasons to be grateful and to celebrate his life. Alain was unique.
> [...]

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP
(ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)