Re: [council] TODAY'S MOTION - Metrics and Reporting Working Group Charter

  • To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [council] TODAY'S MOTION - Metrics and Reporting Working Group Charter
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:13:32 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I have a question on the charter. For some reason I could not find it yesterday to be able to ask. It concerns the assumptions:

This is a non PDP working group and as such
is not creating new policy, but rather building
best practices for consideration. If recommendations
inherently contain new policy, then a formal PDP process
would be recommended in conjunction with that recommendation.
This should not preclude considering recommendations that
include substantive policy changes for consideration.

I do not understand how the last two sentences work together and aren't a contradiction. Figured since I was going to ask in the meeting, I might as well aske before.

Also in general if it is not creating recommendations for contractual Consensus Policy but rather recommendations that have policy implications for ICANN practice, why can't this group make policy recommendations? I don't understand.

thanks

avri