RE: [council] Personal Thoughts on String Similarity

Thanks Jeff,

That's helpful input and background to any discussion we may have.

It seems to me that the key question then becomes what, if anything, could
or should the Council do to take this further?

We have written to express a concern that the work currently being
undertaken is potentially not consistent with the relevant GNSO policy
(attached as a reminder).

On the back of to be determined output from the Policy & Implementation WG,
we may handle similar policy output differently in future e.g. by specifying
more detail on implementing GNSO policy.

But, the work of the P&I WG is only just beginning.

Therefore, the question for us is what can we do now, or have we made a
sufficient point already?

What would be very helpful context for such a discussion, is to know if
ICANN has any intention of modifying or developing how they are handling
this already?

So, the question/s for Christine should almost certainly include the
following:

1.       Does ICANN agree that there is an inconsistency with the output of
work on string similarity and the relevant GNSO policy
AND, in any event,

2.       Does  ICANN have any intention of modifying or developing how they
are handling string similarity decisions?

Jonathan