[council] Regarding 2014 Nominating Committee leadership

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Regarding 2014 Nominating Committee leadership
  • From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 05:01:45 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-AU, en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From:  http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-01oct13-en.htm

ICANN Appoints Chair and Chair-Elect for the 2014 Nominating Committee (NomCom)

The ICANN Board is pleased to announce that it has appointed Cheryl Langdon-Orr
as Chair and Stéphane Van Gelder as Chair-Elect for the 2014 Nominating
Committee (NomCom)
[http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-28sep13-en.htm#2.a].
   At Cheryl's request, Yrjö Länsipuro has agreed to serve as Associate Chair
for the 2014 NomCom.   These three members of the 2014 NomCom Leadership are
well-known personalities in the ICANN community with in-depth knowledge of
ICANN from many years of involvement and experience in ICANN.   Cheryl
Langdon-Orr serves as Chair-Elect of the 2013 NomCom, Stéphane Van Gelder is a
member of the 2013 NomCom, and Yrjö Länsipuro serves as Chair of the 2013
NomCom and was a member of the 2011 and 2012 NomComs.

Cheryl commented on her appointment as Chair of the 2014 NomCom, stating:

"I am delighted to be working again in 2014 with Stéphane and Yrjö, having
served with them in 2013 whilst Chair Elect, but this time as the 2014 NomCom
Leadership Team.   We can assure the ICANN Community and Stakeholders, that we
will be continuing to build on the continued evolution in practices and changes
to ICANN's Nominating Committee transparency that have been seen in 2013.   We
are looking forward and planning for the 2014 NomCom 'kick off' meeting and
activities following the ICANN Public meeting in Buenos Aires in November 2013,
which is when the work of the 2014 NomCom starts, and where we formally take
our seats with the rest of the appointed Community representatives and voting
delegates."

After its initial meetings later this year, the 2014 NomCom will issue a public
call for applicants to the open ICANN leadership positions and work to reach
their final selections in 2014.   The NomCom's activities can be followed on
the NomCom website, at  http://nomcom.icann.org ,  where all relevant
documentation regarding NomCom can be found.

About the NomCom Leadership:

The NomCom Chair is responsible for organizing the NomCom in its activities to
select ICANN Board members and individuals who will serve in other key
leadership positions within ICANN's Supporting Organizations (SO) and Advisory
Committees (AC) in accordance with ICANN's Bylaws. The Chair-Elect serves
alongside the Chair, with anticipated succession into the role of the Chair for
the subsequent year's NomCom. The Associate Chair, selected by the Chair,
assists with the duties of the Chair. The Chair, the Chair-Elect and Associate
Chair are non-voting members of the NomCom.