[council] Staff paper on RAA Remaining Issues PDP

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Staff paper on RAA Remaining Issues PDP
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:04:56 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear all,

Please find attached the ICANN staff paper summarizing the remaining issues
from the completed RAA negotiations to be considered and recommendations
developed by the GNSO, following the Board's initial request in October 2011,
the Final RAA Issue Report in March 2012 and, most recently, the approval by
the Board of the new 2013 RAA in June 2013, signifying the conclusion of
negotiations on the RAA. The paper includes a procedural summary of each of
these various stages, an annex of relevant excerpts from a number of prior
community efforts and reports, and (in Section VIII) an Issues Chart detailing
specific issues and questions pertaining to the "remaining issues" to be
considered by the GNSO in this PDP.

We hope you'll find the paper a useful summary and follow-up from the initial
briefing that Margie and I conducted at the Council meeting earlier this month.
As discussed separately at that meeting, one of the options for improving or
moving a PDP along was the possibility of having a draft Working Group Charter
first developed by ICANN staff. Given the Council's hesitation at that meeting
to move forward with such a proposal, however, we have not included a draft
charter in this paper. Should this paper, especially the Issues Chart, find
approval with you and your constituencies and stakeholder groups, we would be
happy to include at your direction a draft charter for this particular PDP as a
means of "testing" one of the suggested PDP improvements.

We look forward to further discussions on the RAA Remaining Issues PDP at the
next Council meeting. I should note, in addition, that we are hopeful that the
GNSO-commissioned WHOIS study on Privacy/Proxy Abuse, which as you know is
being conducted by the National Physical Laboratory in the United Kingdom, will
be published before the end of the month – which would allow for its findings
to be considered by the Council and the GNSO community during the establishment
of the WG for this PDP.

Thanks very much,
Mary

Mary Wong