[council] Call for Volunteers: Advisory Group for Digital Engagement Project

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Call for Volunteers: Advisory Group for Digital Engagement Project
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:21:12 -0700
  • Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://gnso.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-22aug13-en.htm
Call for Volunteers: Advisory Group for Digital Engagement Project
Last Updated: 22 August 2013
Date:

ICANN is engaged in a strategic development and incubation process for new
digital engagement tools and services, which will result in a
reconceptualization of ICANN.org<http://www.icann.org/>. The goal of the
strategy is to drive community engagement across a continuum of potential
involvement: from the general interest public-facing communication that happens
on ICANN.org<http://www.icann.org/>; to deeper engagement experiences that
enable new and existing community members to discuss and educate themselves on
a wide variety of governance topics; to experiences in which community members
learn more abut working group activity.

After a number of community discussions in Durban, it seemed that in addition
to the online participation which is occurring on
ICANNLabs<http://labs.icann.org/> that the project could benefit from more
regular community input from a core group of interested people. It was
suggested that Staff consider creating a community Advisory Group that would
provide additional guidance and support on a regular basis.

Here's more detail on this potential committee:

Name: Digital Engagement Advisory Group

Type: Ad-hoc advisory group to advise the development team working on the
Digital Engagement Project

Timeframe Commitment: Approximately 6 months (or the duration of the Digital
Engagement Project) from the date of this email.

Start Date: The first meeting is tentatively scheduled for August 22nd.

Administrative Info:

 *   The group will meet via conference call and Adobe Connect and will have a
mailing list.
 *   There may be a face to face meeting in Buenos Aires, schedules permitting
(no funded travel).
 *   The calls will not be recorded.
 *   The group will decide on the best means of tracking discussions (wiki page
or other).

Objective: To advise and guide the highly strategic digital engagement project;
to help ensure that the project achieves the desired goals.

Roles and Responsibilities: The group would meet every other week (2x per
month) for the duration of the project. Meetings are expected to last 1 hour.
However, this may change depending on the group and the project. Members will
be encouraged to participate in prototype testing and provide feedback, as well
as offer input and guidance on project documents, such as metrics for success,
problem statement and others.

Group Membership: For management and efficiency purposes we would like to limit
membership to 20 people (or less) but otherwise there are no restrictions on
who can participate. People are free to join at anytime during the project.
Given the goals of the project an interest in promoting general engagement with
ICANN and broadening the breadth and diversity of participants is desirable. I
encourage participants from developing regions to join as it's my belief that
they will profit most from this project. We also need representation and voices
from constituencies as we need to ensure that engagement leads to meaningful
participation within a structure or constituency.

To join this group please send me an email at
chris.gift@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:chris.gift@xxxxxxxxx> and I'll add you to an email
list.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat