[council] RE: Agenda - 11 June 2013 - New gTLD Program Committee

  • To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] RE: Agenda - 11 June 2013 - New gTLD Program Committee
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 15:16:40 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Cc: "'Cyrus Namazi'" <cyrus.namazi@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Fadi Chehade'" <fadi.chehade@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Steve.crocker@xxxxxxxxx'" <Steve.crocker@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Cherine Chalaby (cherine.chalaby@xxxxxxxxx)'" <cherine.chalaby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce,

Am I correct that the Board will be discussing and adopting the BGC's
recommendation on the NCSG Reconsideration Request?

As you know, the GNSO has scheduled this item to discuss on our next Council
call on the 13th (2 days after the scheduled ICANN Board meeting).  A number of
us on the GNSO completely disagree with the rationale that was used to justify
the outcome (even if we do not dispute the outcome).  We believe that the BGC's
rationale will undermine the entire bottom-up multi-stakeholder model (as in my
previous e-mail to the council which I have attached).

We therefore respectfully ask that the ICANN Board delay any decision on this
reconsideration request until it has had time to listen to the GNSO Council and
its members on our thoughts about this decision.  I personally believe if the
Board adopts this recommendation (more particularly the rationale for the
recommendation), the Board will have not officially put the nail in the coffin
for the Reconsideration process as an accountability measure, but will have
also the multi-stakeholder bottom up model as we know it.

I have included Fadi and Steve (which I have rarely if ever done before) on
this e-mail to stress the importance of this issue and plea for the Board to
forgo any definitive action on this request until such time that we can be
heard.  We also ask whether anyone from the BGC could be available to discuss
this issue with us on the GNSO Council call.

P.S.....I do want to stress that Neustar takes no position as to whether the
Trademark Claims plus 50 should or should not be in place as an RPM.  Rather,
we strongly disagree with the assumptions and fundamentally-flawed rationale in
the BGC's recommendation.

Best regards,

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs
46000 Center Oak Plaza, Sterling, VA 20166
Office: +1.571.434.5772  Mobile: +1.202.549.5079  Fax: +1.703.738.7965 /
jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx  / www.neustar.biz