Re: [council] Beijing / Meetings with GAC & ccNSO

  • To: Jonathan Robinson <jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Beijing / Meetings with GAC & ccNSO
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:01:28 +0100
  • Cc: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jonathan, all,
while I agree with most of what has been said by fellow Councillors in response
to your request, I have a general question:

Is it just us needing to come up with what John calls (rightfully) a compelling
agenda or isn't the "burden" on both parties?

ad 1 and 2:
As far as the ccNSO is concerned, we already had sessions in the past talking
about the impact of new gTLDs, but they were quite superficial. While I could
not be in favor of repeating statements made before, I guess that a well
prepared discussion would be meaningful. Whois (which is closely linked to
John's point on the EU data protection laws) might also be a topic of mutual
interest.

In my view such sessions would need to be carefully prepared - imho best done
by reps from both parties taking care of that. I would volunteer to be part of
that. In the absence of a good preparation, we might better not put these
points on the agenda.

ad 3 and 4:
I definitely support an initiative to meet with the GAC.

As chair of the IOC-RCRC-IGO-INGO PDP WG I would very much welcome the
opportunity to discuss this very topic. You will recall that this PDP was
tagged a case study by both the Board and the GAC and as a consequence we
should consider being an active part in making this case study successful. Our
leadership (you or one of the vice chairs :-)) might wish to reach out to both
the GAC and the Board to find out what their plan was with the case study? Was
the idea to just observe and evaluate jointly or separately after it is over?
Was the idea to be more active by engaging in the process at some stage or to
have interim assessments? If so, on the basis of what information? I can tell
you that the level of complexity of this project is challenging and thus there
is a lot that could be presented and discussed.

I would be more than happy to contribute to this, but I would need to
understand better what the expectations are. Maybe we could even invite the
Board (or reps) to such discussion. If such session was well prepared, I think
it would be a good initiative to help the various groups better understand the
approaches, ongoing work, limitations and chances of what the GNSO is going.

Thanks,
Thomas