[council] Report from Fadi Chehadé on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Negotiation Session

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Report from Fadi Chehadé on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Negotiation Session
  • From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 06:26:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-AU, en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://blog.icann.org/2013/02/registrar-accreditation-agreement-negotiation-session

Registrar Accreditation Agreement Negotiation Session

by Fadi Chehadé on February 7, 2013

Building on the great work that has been achieved to date, yesterday I met with
the Registrar Stakeholder Group's Negotiating Team to continue with
negotiations toward a new Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA). We started
the day by affirming our commitment to further, in good faith, a new RAA that
will address the needs of the community as well as prepare the Internet domain
name system for a new season of growth.

The RAA negotiations provide an important opportunity to carefully balance the
various requirements voiced by the ICANN community, as well as to evolve
relations with the registrars who are at the frontline delivering the
innovation and consumer choice enabled by the new gTLD program.

We discussed several items that had been tabled since this group met last year
and made headway in considering additional enhancements that will complete the
agreement in a manner that best achieves our goals rooted in the public
interest.

We continued to explore how the proposed RAA can be synchronized with the new
gTLD Registry Agreement that ICANN published for comment on 5 February 2013.
Assuming such alignment, this will bring a more cohesive framework across these
agreements.

I will endeavor, with every tool available, to ensure that all agreements with
our contracted parties are embraced in the broadest way plausible, and
furthermore to support efforts by ICANN as it works to create a level playing
field for all participants in this growing sector.

Without compromising any of our principles, we hope to achieve closure as soon
as possible. I look forward to continuing this spirited and collaborative
dialogue with the registrars as ICANN and the registrars are committed to
moving through this process in a deliberative and expeditious way.