[council] CEO Roundtable II: The Registries
- To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx List" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] CEO Roundtable II: The Registries
- From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 14:05:15 -0800
- Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
- Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
- In-reply-to: <CD381D26.1D27Afirstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- References: <CD381CD7.1D276email@example.com> <CD381D26.1D27Afirstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: Ac4EoswbsGoY+6KlShCntUeV4j3WlgAExBdQ
- Thread-topic: CEO Roundtable II: The Registries
CEO Roundtable II: The Registries
by Fadi Chehadé on February 5, 2013
On Monday, I was very pleased to host more than a dozen leaders from the
registry community; participants in our latest CEO Roundtable series focused on
key issues and trends within the Domain Name System sector.
Over the course of a day, we discussed the evolution of the DNS sector from a
number of perspectives and explored the opportunities and risks that these
changes pose. The group provided constructive ideas about creating a platform
for growth, innovation, and greater consumer and investor awareness. Research
analysis, the creation of an infographic depicting the DNS ecosystem, and
mechanisms to educate the media and public about the DNS sector were also
In short, we addressed common goals, shared responsibilities and the value of
raising awareness among consumers worldwide of the DNS sector, affirming our
commitment to the public interest. I also expressed my hope and vision for a
strengthened and streamlined business contracting framework between ICANN and
its contracted parties.
While the topic of the roundtable was not the new gTLD program, I was asked to
clarify recent comments I made at the ICANN Registry and Registrar meeting in
Amsterdam. I took the opportunity to reassure everyone that:
* ICANN remains focused on the new gTLD timeline, and I am confident that we
can do so without comprising ICANN's deep, immovable commitment to the
stability of the DNS.
* We do not foresee any delays of the new gTLD program, we are working to
assure that none occur, and the entire organization is pressing forward to
comply with deadlines.
* We have assembled a team of qualified professionals, experienced in making
complex programs fully operational, and they have my full confidence. Staff is
working hard and it is important for the community to be aware of the intense
demands placed upon them by the schedule.
* We will continue to increase the volume of communications pertaining to
operational details of the new gTLD program, addressing both the technical and
political risks encountered at various decision points.
* I will also endeavor to explain, to the extent possible, the trade-offs
and various considerations being balanced during each implementation milestone
of the new gTLD program.
I am grateful to the registry leaders for their candid, constructive feedback
and look forward to continued dialogue as we host more CEO roundtables through
the spring. Finally, I have asked past roundtable participants to consider
participating in a DNS Summit meeting to serve as the culminating event for
Glen de Saint Géry