Re: [council] Proposed Response to the GAC regarding November 28th Letter

David and Mason,
your point regarding the GAC is well understood. I will not try to convince you
of my proposal, but let me explain that I made the proposal since I would very
much like to hear the GAC's view on this. That does not mean that this view is
going to be adopted by us. Also, getting input on the GAC's understanding of
the demarkation of policy vs implementation helps us understand the GAC better
and maybe respond to that to improve the working relationshipo.

Anyway, even if the group wishes not to ask the GAC for its view, please amend
the language so it does not say that we might misunderstand something. I think
we should not populate the idea that we might be wrong as I truly believe that
this is not the case.

Thomas

Am 11.12.2012 um 08:27 schrieb David Cake <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I admire the very non-confrontational yet clear tone of the letter - I don't
> think I'd be able to manage that tone on this issue. Thank you Jeff.
>
> I'm fine with the descriptions of the specific issue here, clearly setting
> out that there are numerous specific issues not addressed in the GACs advice
> etc.
>
> Like Mason, I'm not sure we should ask the GAC for its determination of
> policy vs implementation, for a wide range of reasons. As Mason points out, a
> decision being 'implementation' isn't necessarily grounds for excluding
> policy making structures such as the GNSO from decision making.
>
> Regards
>
>       David
>

> On 06/12/2012, at 6:41 AM, Neuman, Jeff wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> In the past few days, a few of us at Neustar have been thinking about a
>> proposed response to the November 28th letter from the GAC to the GNSO on
>> the determination to initiate a PDP on the protection of names of
>> international organizations.  Given that we should be drafting a response,
>> we took a stab at coming up with a first draft to get your input on.
>>
>> This is just a first draft, but one which we believe sets the right
>> non-confrontational tone on some issues that we know are sensitive to a
>> number of GAC members (and ICANN community members alike).  We have also
>> taken a stab at defining how policy development has traditionally applied to
>> ICANN activities before the whole onslaught of new gTLD issues.
>>
>> Please let me know your thoughts on this letter and whether this serves as a
>> good starting point to finalize a response.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> Dear Madam Chair:
>>
>> I am writing in response to your letter dated 28 November 2012 seeking
>> information about the GNSO’s determination to initiate a Policy Development
>> Process (PDP) on the protection of the names of international organizations
>> “in all gTLDs.”
>>
>> We are not aware of a bright line test to distinguish “policy” from
>> “implementation” in general, or in the ICANN context, and believe that this
>> question might benefit from further review and consideration within ICANN’s
>> multi-stakeholder processes.  For purposes of responding to your letter,
>> however, the term “policy development” has traditionally applied to ICANN’s
>> consideration of an issue that is within the scope of ICANN’s mission
>> statement and involves developing an approach that (1) is broadly applicable
>> to multiple situations or organizations; (2) is likely to have lasting value
>> of applicability; (3) will establish a guide or framework for future
>> decision-making; and/or (4) implicates or affects an existing ICANN policy.
>>  The ICANN Board, the ICANN staff, and the GNSO has each concluded at
>> different points that the question of enhanced protections for international
> [...]

Thomas Rickert, Rechtsanwalt
Schollmeyer &  Rickert Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft m.b.H. (i.e. law firm)
Geschäftsführer / CEO: Torsten Schollmeyer, Thomas Rickert
HRB 9262, AG Bonn

Büro / Office Bonn:
Kaiserplatz 7-9, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 0

Büro / Office Frankfurt a.M.:
Savignystraße 43, 60325 Frankfurt, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)69 714 021 - 56

Zentralfax: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 66

mailto: rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx
skype-id: trickert