Re: [council] Discussion kick-off on BC/IPC strawman proposal as blogged by Fadi

  • To: Maria Farrell <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Discussion kick-off on BC/IPC strawman proposal as blogged by Fadi
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:34:59 +0100
  • Cc: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=key-systems.net; h=content-type:content-type:in-reply-to:references:subject :subject:to:mime-version:user-agent:from:from:date:date :message-id; s=dkim; t=1354268014; x=1355132014; bh=dYLsD2CyQF28 k/Yf+ljMXveamHJXVR+3kwPwhSiKukc=; b=MwPN5zq9rAuJuYCUjQA3gcZgLsyD fVWkjAMpWrzcKv1Fe6yGlHbBtL4sY1kkRV0lkYNe/zANrqUg9FPxY8fzs7FS2fBu LBad/kT78pwYnCWoVXdaHJYs/waDg2BuOTxlZ4jxo20QX3tduKmHg9E/n6qexMBO TzvlHYVPFLVqiRk=
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Maria,

I just read a very good summary from a potential applicants' perspective:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20121129_new_gtlds_last_minute_end_arounds_and_fundamental_fairness/

Jon does a really good job pointing out how the current proposals contradict previous GNSO, Board and other community decisions and go against previously agreed upon compromise positions. I really recommend this read for all councillors that may not know the full background of the prior discussions on these issues.

Best,

Volker

Volker,

Thank you very much. I share many of your concerns, particularly regarding this 'extra-judicial' process'; its secrecy and its imbalance.

I would very much like to have clarity on what the role of the GNSO Council, and the GNSO more broadly, should now be.

While I wish to be as constructive as possible regarding the substance of any new proposals formally presented to the GNSO, I do not wish for the GNSO to be asked to rubber-stamp the outcomes of a flawed process.

I look forward to learning more about these proposals, including the publication of - at a minimum - who was involved in drawing them up, and what process was invoked to ensure transparency, participation and balance.

All the best, Maria