Re: [council] MOTION TO RECOMMEND PROTECTIONS IN THE FIRST ROUND OF NEW GTLDS FOR CERTAIN RED CROSS/RED CRESCENT (RCRC) AND INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) NAMES

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] MOTION TO RECOMMEND PROTECTIONS IN THE FIRST ROUND OF NEW GTLDS FOR CERTAIN RED CROSS/RED CRESCENT (RCRC) AND INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) NAMES
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:52:25 +0100
  • Cc: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=key-systems.net; h=content-type:content-type:in-reply-to:references:subject :subject:to:mime-version:user-agent:from:from:date:date :message-id; s=dkim; t=1352469207; x=1353333207; bh=kotC5dkLB6vy tlvfY4ATVQaaz6gQ6REdlpnTHOfhe1o=; b=DJs+Sb52qbvSaaz0p5lxBCHMPszS /eYzspkslFA+ig6CdLeor7MejFztadvIcJISoyqhRzyI7W9rl1nWmig9geEed1/E j2Exwy6Ci2NIODfzJ3mEMDITnqrK5HOzUZ5GjJC7G7AoKp9I1IllgxwURRfzbM74 7adAwNxVYPxsH6s=
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jeff,

even if the reservation is temporary this will result in that the potential applicants are effectively disenfranchised from the opportunity to participate in the Sunrise periods of any given TLD. I don't think that registry operators and registrars will be willing to entertain a second sunrise in each and every new TLD just for these strings, which would mean that rights holders would have to compete with other third parties once the reservation were lifted.

While the IOC and RCRC have internationally established protections in place, these protections are not all-encompassing and allow for other legitimate uses of these terms. Consequently, any protections for these strings we implement in addition to the existing protections should also take into consideration other legitimate rights.

I am not opposed to additional protections in general, however these should be fair and balanced. I agree that the worst case scenario you detail is a distinct problem, but there should be possible solutions for that issue, such as a specific warning for registering parties at the time of application for sunrise validation, or the right to participate in the sunrise despite the reservation (i.e. the sunrise application would not automatically fail as with standard reservations, but either remain pending until the PDP is done, or be processed as usual but lead to a right to register upon availability instead of instant registration).

I agree that we should avoid being cornered by our current decision if the PDP comes out differently, I am just looking for more flexibility to allow for alternative solutions that would achieve the same goal.

Best,

Volker Greimann

Volker,

Please note that the recommendations are for _temporary_ reservations pending the outcome of the PDP. You may be correct in your ultimate conclusion and that may be the way the PDP comes out. But out of practicality, if the PDP comes out the other way (that the names should be protected), then the only way to realistically implement that would be if the names were reserved in the first place. It would be impossible to take back the names once they are registered by third parties. Therefore, the Drafting Team believes that the names should be reserved initially until the PDP is completed. Worst case scenario if we adopt this measure is that the PDP comes out that the names should not be protected and then we allow for the release of the names at that time. If we took your approach and the names should have been protected (assuming the PDP comes out that way), we are stuck.

I hope this helps explain the Drafting Team position without in any way downplaying your opposition to the ultimate reservation.

Thanks.

*Jeffrey J. Neuman**
**Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs*