[council] Letter to community from Fadi Chehadé

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Letter to community from Fadi Chehadé
  • From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 22:59:24 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-AU, en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

Attached for convenience is the letter from Fadi to the community - published
on the ICANN website - with a summary of key goals between now and Beijing.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin

Dear ICANN Community Friends and Colleagues,

Thank you for your warm welcome and expressions of support during my first
weeks in this new role. The responsibilities you have entrusted me with are
truly awesome. We have much to do together, so let's get to work!

In Toronto, I promised you a summary of my key goals for the trimester ahead
until we meet in Beijing. Here it is.

OPERATIONS EXCELLENCE

Operations Excellence is our highest priority. When ICANN fulfills its
operational mission with distinction, it will not only strengthen the Domain
Name System of which we are stewards, it will also engender trust and
confidence, which are crucial to enhancing understanding and support for our
role.

The leadership team and I agreed that we have three key goals in this area for
the trimester ahead:

(1) Deliver on every aspect of the new gTLD program launch next year, meeting
obligations and securing the necessary resources and personnel to lead the
transition from what has been a policy-driven effort to implementation of a
responsive and reliable operation.   As a first step, we are working to advance
the dialogue on implementation of the Trademark Clearing House.   We must also
execute the prioritization draw, evaluations, and pre-delegation tests
flawlessly.

(2) We will build a new gTLD services department including
relationship/contract management, operations services, and support services.
The new department will be structured to implement policies, operationalize its
services for scale, and establish a tiered support center for the growing
number of brands, registries, and registrars.  Members of this new team will
also shadow the policy development process to ensure we are developing
'implementable' policies before they are finalized.  Finally, we will plan to
reach consensus on a solid and enforceable Registrar Accreditation Agreement
that is fair and balanced.

(3) We will institutionalize management disciplines and implement an automated
management system to increase visibility and accountability.  The new system
will enhance our metrics for delivery of on-time and on-budget projects.  Once
the system is operational, we will proceed to re-organize ICANN staff under the
new leadership team using a matrix structure integrating global/regional/local
roles to enable the internationalization of ICANN's mission and reduce
departmental silos that hinder efficiencies.

INTERNATIONALIZATION

Our team will lead the realization of these key goals during the next trimester:

(1) Following the successful model of the African community - in which a
diverse group of stakeholders assessed their strengths and needs and presented
a proposed engagement strategy for ICANN - we are starting discussions with
stakeholders in Latin America and the Caribbean, India, Brazil, Turkey, and
other locations.  In this engagement model, ICANN will seek guidance from a
country-level, multi-stakeholder, bottom-up process.  These efforts will be in
concert with members of our community and with fellow Internet coordinating
organizations.

(2) We will retool and 'localize' our communications efforts to get closer to
our stakeholders everywhere.  Following the successful launch of myICANN, we
will continue to enhance this important engagement platform with increased
functionality and content, specifically adding tools to streamline our
collaborative activities with constituencies spread all over the world.

(3) We will evolve ICANN's relationships with governments and IGOs,
promulgating to policy makers and negotiators a clear understanding of ICANN's
role. Our goal is increased awareness, acceptance and support for ICANN's
multistakeholder model.  We will achieve this with a broader engagement team,
strategically deployed globally.

EVOLVE THE MULTI STAKEHOLDER MODEL

To evolve the multistakeholder model we need to both prepare for changes
resulting from the new gTLD program and also improve the processes by which
policy is made. We will also further promote the legitimacy of our model by
demonstrating its effectiveness and its transparency.  Our team will focus on
these key deliverables:

(1) We will enable more substantive inter-sessional discussions among
stakeholders on challenging issues -- with particular focus on the new gTLD
program -- and will encourage participants to see issues from the viewpoints of
others.  We will encourage consultation, collaboration and even negotiation
among stakeholder groups on an ongoing basis, with an aim toward arriving at
ICANN public meetings with more consensus.

(2) ICANN's program to improve ethics and transparency is well underway, with
the third of three independent/external reviews now completing its work. We
will convert the recommendations of the reviews that have not yet been adopted
into implementable standards and policies.

(3) We will launch a strategy effort to retool the ICANN SO/AC structures,
preparing them to serve the next billion Internet users - most of whom will
emerge from outside North America and Europe.

AFFIRMATION OF PURPOSE

We will lead three key initiatives in this area:

(1) We will plan the next Accountability and Transparency Review Team while
pro-actively and continuously reviewing the efficacy of changes made as a
result of the last ATRT review.

(2) To strengthen our commitment to the public interest, we will launch a
community effort addressing the WHOIS debate in a strategic way, to resolve the
longstanding open items in this area.

(3) We will plan a community wide effort to formulate an updated ICANN strategy
for the next 3 years.

You heard me speak in Toronto about Malala, the child who was shot and nearly
killed by extremists for promoting the education of young girls . We are all
relieved that she is now on the road to recovery!

The Internet gave a voice to Malala and brought news of her plight to the
world. Together, we are entrusted with this awesome resource. I invite each one
of you to join me - along with our superb ICANN staff and board - on the hard
but very worthwhile journey to make ICANN a model of efficiency and reliability.

We are off to a new season!

Fadi