RE: [council] Re: Uniform Rapid Suspension Discussion

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, Kurt Pritz <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Re: Uniform Rapid Suspension Discussion
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:38:17 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kurt,

There was a discussion yesterday amongst some members of the community at an
even hosted by MelbourneIT where I raised a question which I feel like I should
restate on the Council list.  A number of us would like to see an RFI/RFP on
the URS so that we can have empirical evidence that the process as designed
cannot be conducted for the prices that have been indicated ($300-$500).  It is
our understanding that your conclusions are based on some discussions with the
National Arbitration Forum and with the World Intellectual Property
Organization. However, some believe that there may indeed be providers out
there that can meet the requirements at the desired feed.  But we will never
know that unless and until a proper competitive process is held.

I draw analogies to the EBERO process where prior to the RFI, the community
assumed that each applicant would have to secure a Letter of Credit for
hundreds of thousands of dollars if not well in excess of $1M.  After the RFI
process and ICANN saw the costs that would actually be charged by potential
back-up providers (through the competitive process), it was realized that the
fees would be substantially less.  I believe the same may be the case here.  If
not, then what have we lost?

So, rather than trying to come up with new solutions on re-designing the
process that took years to come up with in the first place, can we place some
focus on getting the right providers at the right price?

Best regards,

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs