[council] suggestions for the Toronto agenda

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] suggestions for the Toronto agenda
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:09:02 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stéphane, Wolf-Ulrich and Jeff, all,
since we did not have the time to discuss agenda items for Toronto, I would
like to propose two topics now.

1. At the moment, all contracts with ICANN are governed by the laws of
California. For ICANN to be globally inclusive, it would seem appropriate to me
if ICANN would offer contracts at least one in each of the regions under one
regional law. I would like to kick-off a discussion on that.

2. In the course of the RAA negotiations there are, amongst others, requests
for (i) validation prior to the resolution of domain names and annual
re-verification to increase Whois accuracy as well as for (ii) data retention
for two years past the life of the registration. Particularly these two areas
will have an enormous impact on the whole community. Yet, there does not seem
to be community-wide attention to that and the practical and legal implications
thereof. Let me clarify that this it not meant to affect the Registrars'
mandate to negotiate or change the Council's role. It is more about raising
awareness.

Thanks for all your work on putting the agenda together,
Thomas