[council] Re: ICANN Seeks Input on gTLD Batching

Dear all,
thank you very much for your contributions. There was some vivid debate behind
the scenes, which I did not expect. In particular, there was no consensus on
whether preference should be given to certain categories of TLDs. We have now
chosen to highlight that this is no consensus position but that the absolute
majority of the contributors were in favor of such categorization. I have
included the final version of the comment below.

I will ask eco staff to set up a mailing list for such purposes so facilitate a
discussion amongst all of us without disclosing all your e-mail addresses.

Please let me know if you wish to be removed from this list or want additional
contacts of your firm / organisation to be added.

Thanks,
Thomas

The below comments are made on behalf of eco, the Association of the German
Internet Industry (www.eco.de). eco is the German Internet Industry Association
with about 600 members from different Internet industry sectors. The
association represents over 200 ISPs and Registrars as well as Registries.

First of all, ICANN should take all reasonable steps to increase the speed of
evaluating all applications. There are synergies arising from the limited
number of Registry Service Providers, which lead to partially congruent
strings may have used partially congruent information in business plans etc.
Hence, the evaluation process can be streamlined without any loss of quality by
identifying the variations and determining their impact on the overall
assessment. Where possible, applications should be assigned to evaluators in a
manner that allows for the common evaluation of substantially similar
applications.

We also believe that there will be a natural sequencing after the publication
of the results of the initial evaluation for all applications due to
objections, withdrawals, GAC Advice and contentions, but also due to factors
beyond ICANN's control since applicants need to return signed contracts and
also apply for the delegation, which provides for additional sequencing.

Additionally, all applicants should be given the opportunity to opt for their
TLD being delegated at a later stage. ICANN should consider to offer financial
incentives for those who opt out.

Secondly, the ICANN Community has been advised that the effects of delegating
new TLDs into the root zone will be monitored and analyzed. ICANN should seek
more information on how this process is envisaged by the technical experts. How
many TLDs will they allow to be delegated at first? Will there be a pause for
analysis afterwards? How long might such pause be? What will be the sequence of
delegations afterwards?
ICANN should synchronize its metering with the plans of the technical experts,
if possible.

Should additional metering be needed, the sequence should be as follows:

The absolute majority of eco members that have contributed to this comment are
in favor of giving preference to geoTLDs, IDNs and community TLDs..

All applicants will be sent the contracts for execution at the same time,
unless their application requires an extended evaluation. Natural sequencing in
contract negotiation and execution as well as applying for delegation will
provide for natural sequencing.

Afterwards, non objected TLDs will be handled in the same manner, unless there
is GAC Advice, extended evaluation or a contention.

After that, those who opted out will be handled in the same manner, unless
there is GAC Advice, extended evaluation or a contention.

For cases where there is GAC Advice, an extended evaluation or a contention,
the handling will occur as the cases are resolved.