Re: [council] MERGED version - draft statement on .com

  • To: Jonathan Robinson <jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] MERGED version - draft statement on .com
  • From: Zahid Jamil <zahid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 12:14:24 +0200
  • Cc: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

attempt at merger of both statements:

The GNSO Council had discussed with the Board during its meeting on Sunday that
there were several instances where the GNSO Council was not involved prior the
Board made decisions to seek community input.

It is with disappointment that the GNSO Council noted that a resolution on the
renewal of a contract was passed last weekend while this very matter is a topic
for today's public forum. Parts of the community may deem their contributions
moot when they are not considered by the Board prior to making a decision.

We would like to explicitly point this out in order to make sure that community
input is sought before resolutions are made and not afterwards when future
meetings are planned.  This comment is not with regard to the merits of the
Board’s action, it is for the constituencies or stakeholder groups to highlight
those as they see fit.  However, we, the GNSO Council, find the process
followed by the Board to be objectionable at a time when we are all being urged
to advocate for the ICANN model at time of increased global scrutiny, we
therefore have faith that the Board will in the future continue to maintain the
highest standards of transparency and accountability that it is mandated to
uphold.

Best regards,

Zahid Jamil
Barrister-at-law
Jamil & Jamil
Barristers-at-law
219-221 Central Hotel Annexe
Merewether Road, Karachi. Pakistan
Cell: +923008238230
Tel: +92 21 5680760 / 5685276 / 5655025
Fax: +92 21 5655026
www.jamilandjamil.com

Notice / Disclaimer
This message contains confidential information and its contents are being
communicated only for the intended recipients . If you are not the intended
recipient you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this message by
mistake and delete it from your system. The contents above may contain/are the
intellectual property of Jamil & Jamil, Barristers-at-Law, and constitute
privileged information protected by attorney client privilege. The
reproduction, publication, use, amendment, modification of any kind whatsoever
of any part or parts (including photocopying or storing it in any medium by
electronic means whether or not transiently or incidentally or some other use
of this communication) without prior written permission and consent of Jamil &
Jamil is prohibited.

Sent from my iPad