Re: [council] Reconfiguring the URS?

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Reconfiguring the URS?
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 14:58:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The current URS was developed by a GNSO STI "Review Team" at the explicit request of the Board (http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-17dec09-en.htm) has a quick summary of the process). It was tweaked in a number of ways by Staff during implementation, and once unilaterally by the Board (presumably in response to pressure from one group).

It does not sound as if the current planned revision would be considered a "tweak". As such, I don't see how the GNSO could be excluded from the process (and being lumped into "and community members".

The satisfactory outcome of the STI group was not pre-destined. Given the strongly differing views of those going into the process, the outcome was remarkable and at least partially attributable to the good will of those involved and their willingness to take a fresh look at the issues.

Given the nature of the problem, the history, and the tight timing there is a great potential to come out of the described consultative process with a plan that meets the desired price point but not the needs of the various groups. I appreciate that the timing might not allow for a traditional GNSO policy development process (just as the STI effort didn't), but the GNSO should ne be placed on the periphery of the discussions.

If special "summits" are deemed necessary due to timing constraints, the GNSO must be a prominent player (probably through a balanced group of participants as with the STI). As such, the GNSO team should be funded for this participation at the summits.

Alan