RE: [council] Motion to delay thick WHOIS PDP

  • To: Jonathan Robinson <jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Stéphane Van Gelder'" <Stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Motion to delay thick WHOIS PDP
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:44:26 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jonathan,

I agree that the PDP process and the contractual negotiation processes are essentially distinct and separate processes, but that does not preclude a particular outcome as a result of either. For example, domain tasting was essentially eliminated in .org, .info and .biz through RSTEP requests, which is essentially a mutually agreed upon contract change. A PDP resulted in a requirement for .com and .net (and others) to implement a change very similar to that which had been suggested in the Afilias and Neustar RSTEPS.

So although quite different processes, the end result can be virtually identical (for any given registry).

On perhaps a more substantive issue, the suggested amendment changes the motion from one that delays the process for a relatively finite defined time, to one that could go on forever.

Alan