RE: [council] meeting with NomCom

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] meeting with NomCom
  • From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:03:31 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Many thanks for these notes.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Stéphane Van Gelder
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:11 AM
To: GNSO Council
Subject: [council] meeting with NomCom

Councillors,

At the NomCom's request, a meeting was called with them on Monday. I wanted to
pass on my notes from the meeting to ensure the Council was aware of it.

Attendees were:

Adam Peake: previous NomCom Chair (from Friday) appointed by the Board
Vanda Scartezini: New NomCom Chair (from Friday) SSAC rep
Rob Hall: Chair NomCom elect (from Friday) Registrar rep
Mary
Jeff
SVG

Rob: Intro. We would like to know what you want, and don't want, in an NCA.

SVG: Intro. This meeting planned at last minute at the NomCom's initiative.
Council not aware. Leadership team cannot speak for Council and cannot be
telling the NomCom in this kind of a meeting what the Council wants and doesn't
want. My expectations for this meeting were that we would not be speaking about
this, but only about the current assignment situation.

Mary and Jeff: In agreement.

Rob: Understood. We could sit in your Open meeting on Wednesday and talk to the
Council if you want and ask this question. This year, for the first time, we
have to have opinions. We are required to by the bylaws and we have to report
on how we have come to our decisions. So please go back to the Council if you
think you need to, but be aware that we need some feedback soon.

Adam: Process so far has been for informal discussions with the GNSO. Now
discussions need to be more formal.

Rob: The GNSO can also provide input on the other positions the NomCom assigns,
like the Board. Not just the GNSO positions.

Rob: Process for NomCom assignments. We pick 2 people one year, and 1 person
the next year. But every year we decide how to assign all three.

SVG: So why didn't you assign 3 people this year?

Adam: Yes, we should probably have assigned Carlos on the note we sent you, but
of course we considered that assignment to be implicit in the letter we sent
you as the other 2 NCAs were assigned. Don't forget that this was an emergency
situation and we had to reconvene the old NomCom to decide this.

Adam: The NomCom is an independent committee under the bylaws and we operate
under strict privacy laws.

Follows discussion on how the past NCAs have worked and what the history of
past NCAs is, the NomCom wanting to get feedback on their previous assignments
to get a better idea of how they should act going forward.

Rob: In the selection process, right now we have a generic questionnaire. I
would like to see us have an additional questionnaire as well which would be
more specifically for the group that we're assigning the candidate to.

Stéphane