[council] Fwd: Suggested election time lines

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Fwd: Suggested election time lines
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:18:38 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Councillors,

As the Dakar meeting looms, one of the items we must cover is the elections of
the next Council Chair (the VCs are house-specific and therefore do not need to
be determined here).

You will remember that last year's elections gave rise to some debate, and that
the Council felt it would be useful to plan ahead a little more for this year.

To start this process along, I have been working with Glen to produce two
possible scenarios for running the elections. These are attached. My thanks to
Glen for her hard work on this.

As you will see from the attached, the options we have looked at are to try and
address the wish that was expressed by some last year that it be the new
Council that elect the Chair. There are some scheduling issues to address, and
if the Council decides to elect its new Chair in Dakar, then we will have to
work closely with those SGs electing new Councillors to ensure that those
elections are done in plenty of time to allow for the Chair election to happen.

We also ask the question, if we have an election in Dakar (rather than the 2nd
option of an electronic ballot beforehand) of whether the vote should be by
open or secret ballot.

Please let us have your comments on these proposals.

Thanks,

Stéphane