From: Tim Ruiz [mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:02 AM
To: Liz Gasster
Cc: cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx; kKleiman@xxxxxxx; dblumenthal@xxxxxxx;
sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [council] Update on Whois studies discussions

Perhaps, but the application/understanding of the data collected, or its
usefulness, will rely largely on how each service applied 3.7.7.3 for
the reveal aspect. Any data cannot be fully understood without it. Keep
in mind that 3.7.7.3 is part of what the Registrar is required to
include in its agreement with the registrant, and ICANN's compliance
effort, at least today, ends with making sure it is appropriately
included in Registrars' registration agreements. So Registrars may
interpret it differently based on registrant expectations and local
laws.

IMHO, the ambiguity of how any resultant data would be used and/or
interpreted would certainly cause hesitation on the part of many if not
most proxy services from participating. I suggest that we don't need to
spend tens of thousands of dollars to find this out. Why not just ask a
significant sampling if they would or not? And although the issues are
somewhat different for the relay part, the same applies. Why not just
ask? I think you will get a pretty good idea of the cooperation level
from that, for a lot less money.

Tim