[council] FW: Update on ICANN Board/GAC Consultation on New gTLDs
- To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] FW: Update on ICANN Board/GAC Consultation on New gTLDs
- From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:03:28 -0800
- Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
- Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AcvOEP95hNAF3TiVQ4K+sKp/TyeDqwAHKYfg
- Thread-topic: Update on ICANN Board/GAC Consultation on New gTLDs
Update on ICANN Board/GAC Consultation on New gTLDs
by JAMIE HEDLUND on FEBRUARY 16, 2011
We wanted to provide some additional information on the work being carried out
by ICANN's Board of Directors and the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) to
prepare for their upcoming meeting in Brussels on the new gTLD program.
As detailed in our recent announcements and blog, the Board and the GAC will
hold a joint workshop to discuss the GAC's concerns regarding the proposed
implementation of the new gTLD program. Following the workshop, it is
anticipated that the Board and GAC will meet for a bylaws-triggered
The Board, ICANN staff and the GAC are working diligently to understand the
GAC's concerns and identify the areas of disagreement and possible solutions.
Substantial preparatory work has been done, including the appointment of "issue
leads" for the topics raised in the GAC's Cartagena Communiqué, exchanges of
draft issue papers and joint conference call discussions. The papers will be
published prior to the meeting.
Most ICANN Board Members and a strong contingent of GAC representatives are
expected to attend.
In addition to the Brussels consultation, the
bylaws<http://www.icann.org/en/general/bylaws.htm#XI>-defined consultation will
take place on 17 March, the day before the Silicon Valley-San Francisco Board
Meeting. Because of the timing of the bylaws consultation, the Board will not
approve or announce the new gTLD program at that Board Meeting.
The timing and substance of any subsequent Board actions on the new gTLD
program will depend on the outcome of the bylaws consultation.
Stay tuned for further updates on the logistics and agenda for the Brussels