[council] Brussels hotel and Internet connectivity

  • To: GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Brussels hotel and Internet connectivity
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:30:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I checked with Constituency Travel about whether breakfast and Internet access were included in the Meridien hotel room prices paid by ICANN for funded travellers (ALAC is staying there and I understand GNSO also).

The answer was that breakfast is included, but Internet access is not.

According to their web site, the Meridien charges 15 Euros for in-room access, and that public are access is also charged. That is about US$18 or 1/4 of the per diem.

ICANN's standard response in previous situations is that we should simply go to the conference venue for after-hours access - never a nice alternative, but clearly not at all practical with a venue separate from the hotel(s).

How we are expected to take over a week from our normal lives and not have after-hours connectivity is a mystery to me. I thought we had fought this battle before and won.

ALAC has lodged a strong complaint. The GNSO or individuals within the GNSO may want to take similar action.

Alan