[council] RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Support for a PDP Work Team Face to Face Meeting

  • To: "'Gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx'" <gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx>, "'GNSO Council'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Support for a PDP Work Team Face to Face Meeting
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 23:21:21 -0800
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As a WT member, I have never believed this WT needs a F2F meeting, and find
the rationale in the document flimsy.  If there is a F2F meeting, Staff and
the WG Chair ought not be deciding who gets to go, or who is funded.

As a Councilor, I think this work is low priority compared to most of the
other ongoing efforts, and it should be up to Council to decide about these
matters, not Staff and/or a WG itself.

By unilaterally deeming this work so important, Staff sends a strong signal
to all of the other WGs that their work is not as important.  I take strong
exception to that.  Perhaps the lack of volunteer interest in this group,
which in fact is a major reason for the proposed F2F meeting, is the
strongest indicator that this work is not a high priority for the community.
Many other WGs have much stronger participation, and all of them would like
to finish their work ASAP too, and surely a F2F meeting would assist in that
regard.

Sorry I missed that this had gone to the PPSC, since I am on the PPSC, and
the PPSC-PDP-WT, and there is a lot of cross-posting to those lists, it is
difficult to keep track.  We agreed at the outset that any call for
consensus of the PPSC would be clearly labeled as such, and Jeff's request
was not.  Also it was heavy-handed and misleading, insofar as the WT should
not be coming directly to Council, as that is what the PPSC is for.  The
required next step is for the PPSC to consider this request, and then make a
recommendation to Council, as that has not been done yet.

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW
548 Market Street
San Francisco, CA  94104