Re: [council] Appointment of NCA to Houses

  • To: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Appointment of NCA to Houses
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:14:58 +0200
  • Cc: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bill,

I do not feel, unless I have misunderstood, that you are right in saying
that Andrei did not want the non-voting seat. Quite the contrary if I recall
what he said during the meeting. Also, Terry has been very adamant about his
wish to be in the NC house, which is also the opposite of the lottery
result.

On satisfying the NCAs, that is a concern I have raised. But it doesn't mean
that the RrSG should not be given sufficient time to consult internally
(which as you know isn't always a quick process) and that the SG has to
share my concern. In the end, I think the position reached by the RrSG does
actually reflect a strong concern for satisfying the NCAs' wishes. And I can
tell you that during the internal discussions we had, that concern was often
voiced.

On your third point, I spoke to that during our last meeting. I do feel that
process should be followed. I actually suggested that we accept the result
of the lottery on that basis. However, others suggested we give ourselves an
extra week to discuss. As a compromise I think that was a sensible way to
go. But it does mean the situation has now changed and we have a strong
majority of the SGs for option 1. Since the process issue you speak of, the
holding of a lottery, only came about because the Council basically ran out
of time to confer, in this particular instance I think allowing ourselves a
short week to further discuss was the right thing to do.

Sorry Bill, my turn to be slow :) I just don't understand your final
question...

Thanks,

Stéphane