[council] Position on NCA seatings

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Position on NCA seatings
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:47:14 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Ok, I've consulted with the current and incoming NCSG councilors, as well as the current and incoming NCUC Exec. Committee. I have yet to hear back from two of the three board appointees who'll be seated in Seoul (not surprising, being new to the process and not yet comfortably ensconced in office etc), but everyone else is unanimous and it's been a week since the council call, so I'll report back now.

Our position is that the lottery results should stand. The council agreed to a process, and Avri followed it just as the motion called for. We do not believe that it a good practice to agree to all follow a process and then toss its results because someone's first preference is not realized. If there were second thoughts about how we were proceeding, these should have been expressed and worked out prior to the lottery deadline. But nobody challenged it, and only one of four SGs clearly expressed a preference on the list before the default was to kick in.

Cheers,

Bill