Re: [council] ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee Selectees
- To: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [council] ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee Selectees
- From: Olga Cavalli <olgac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:07:00 -0300
- Cc: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:in-reply-to :references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc :content-type; bh=Bwas4WYXjEBBoulQoq0s7QzpLlCbF7GcSkT//93VHqQ=; b=QKASm6u6pSe3Ip8IRF4D0kBTVsgcgKgeh8O79MQH4efMCJUasxqQ5jR6K3lL7EhuJs JYLotnISzwyY0koBDX9vvb1NWXCSTXDmH/LqWsUVNJ/derWLq28G3nK7hTmrWEwfZ8FT gcxadUD1cJO2ukNdbyQ1eJBAAB6SZQIMFFEiA=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; b=KTt9ZAS5Csvb7EatrmZwrnF4dAZs0G6Us2lOr3zUevJV95Z3olGm1rx6udsdUkAD61 nQFHB1c1PQfjoWJ1eKntlXyPU39jQ35zDkfxCI4JH4Bs1c8/WOWXVSjXcLypmA8Z3MhS rRbbWNiXJYK7L6TGsydwx2WRjsL+CL77Mv3FU=
- In-reply-to: <05B243F724B2284986522B6ACD0504D7C083E44F84@EXVPMBX100-1.exc.icann.org>
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- References: <05B243F724B2284986522B6ACD0504D7C083E44F84@EXVPMBX100-1.exc.icann.org>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2009/8/31 Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
> Dear Councillors,
> Please note the ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee Selectees.
> Congratulations Olga!
> 28 August 2009
> The 2009 ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom) has completed its selections
> for nine leadership positions within ICANN.
> NomCom Chair, Tricia Drakes, said "We are delighted to announce this year's
> selectees to ICANN's leadership. They include highly accomplished
> individuals from Russia, India, Malaysia, Jamaica, Argentina, Chile and the
> United States. The Committee's hard work has given us a result that we
> believe balances continuity and diversity, and includes the selection of the
> youngest ever member to serve on the ICANN Board. We have added some new
> faces to the mix, but I hope the community will agree that there is a real
> depth of experience as well."
> The NomCom is charged with recruiting and selecting a portion of ICANN's
> community leadership. NomCom works to make sure that, overall, ICANN's
> leadership is diverse in geography, culture, skills, experience, and
> perspective. The basic criteria are that nominees are people of integrity,
> objectivity and judgment, can help group decision-making, can work
> effectively through English, have an understanding of ICANN's mission and
> work, are committed to its success, contribute to cultural, professional and
> geographic expertise, and can work long and hard as volunteers working in
> the global public trust.
> The NomCom evaluated over eighty candidates, many of whom were unusually
> strong, against key criteria set out in the ICANN Bylaws. The Committee also
> wanted to include some of those with skills, expertise and experience in
> some of the important new areas where ICANN may face challenges throughout
> the organization over the next few years, including IDNs (internationalized
> domain names). The Committee took very seriously the evolving and increasing
> importance of independent Board directors, and in so doing found itself
> unable to appoint to the Board some very experienced applicants whom it
> might otherwise have wished to do so.
> ICANN Board of Directors
> Rajasekar Ramaraj, India (2nd term)
> Gonzalo Navarro, Chile
> George Sadowsky, United States
> James Seng, Malaysian citizen residing in China
> Carlton Samuels, Jamaica
> Dave Kissoondoyal, Mauritius
> GNSO Council
> Olga Cavalli, Argentina (2nd term)
> Andrey Kolesnikov, Russian Federation
> ccNSO Council
> J. Beckwith Burr (Becky), United States (2nd term)
> The biographies of the Nominees are reproduced below. The nominees will
> take up their positions at the end of ICANN's Annual Meeting in Seoul, Korea
> on 30 October 2009.
> This year's Nominating Committee received 86 Statements of Interest from
> candidates worldwide during its open nomination period from 2 December 2008
> to 15 April 2009. 71 of the 2009 candidates were men and 15 are women. The
> regional breakdown of this year's candidates was:
> * 10 from Africa,
> * 24 from Asia/Australia/Pacific
> * 23 from Europe
> * 12 from Latin America/Caribbean.
> * 17 from North America
> For more information about NomCom, please visit http://nomcom.icann.org/
> Glen de Saint Géry
> GNSO Secretariat
Olga Cavalli, Dr. Ing.