RE: [council] GAC Responds to Board on Geographic Names

As I previously communicated, I am supportive of doing a letter but more
importantly I think that we should make sure that we have a well understood
position on this issue in advance of our meeting with the GAC on Sunday in
Sydney.  That does not mean that we have to have full consensus on one view but
rather that we know where we stand on this issue whether it is one view or
multiple views and that we are prepared to articulate, defend and discuss our
view(s) with GAC members in the meeting.  To the extent that we can provide our
view(s) in writing to the GAC before the meeting, I think that would be helpful
but, because they want documents three weeks in advance, that may not be
possible.  At the same time, I am sure that being able to distribute a written
document on our view(s) just before or at some time after the meeting would be
appreciated.

Chuck