[council] Re: [At-Large] Respectful Online Communication and Behavior

  • To: carlos aguirre <carlosaguirre62@xxxxxxxxxxx>, At-Large Worldwide <at-large@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Re: [At-Large] Respectful Online Communication and Behavior
  • From: Frank Fowlie <frank.fowlie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 07:22:21 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: "avri@xxxxxxx" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "janis.karklins@xxxxxxxxx" <janis.karklins@xxxxxxxxx>, "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ccnso-council@xxxxxxxxx" <ccnso-council@xxxxxxxxx>, "louie@xxxxxxxxxxx" <louie@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Disspain <ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Charles A. (Chuck) Gomes" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "jun@xxxxxxxxxx" <jun@xxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Crocker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "policy@xxxxxxxxx" <policy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To Karl and Carlos,

I don't believe that there is anything strange or naïve in the expectation that
participants in an organization which represents a global community would
conduct themselves at a level of discourse and behaviour that includes
respectful communication. This is an international forum for debate and
discussion, and while no one has the reasonable expectation of Platonic debate,
neither do participants want to be involved in name calling and behaviours
which more closely resemble a school yard at recess than an international
cooperative effort.

There is no proposal that any party not vigorously pursue the advocacy of their
own position, only that they do so in a manner that is respectful of others.

Dr. Frank Fowlie, DCR
Ombudsman

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey
California, USA, 90292

tel: +310-823-9358