RE: [council] Travel support draft text

  • To: "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Travel support draft text
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 06:44:45 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Philip,

Excellent questions/points. Some we discussed within the group,
some we didn't. Here is my take on each.

- will it be a lump sum given 1st Jan to each constituency or a
budget against which constituencies draw down?

With the way the Staff policy is designed right now, I think the
Council provides a dollar amount to each constituency and asks
them to inform the Council of the intended recipient. The Council
informs Staff. It will be the constituency's responsibility to
be sure the recipient makes the appropriate arrangements through
the Staff travel agent or whatever process the Staff has put in
place. For now, the constituencies cannot split the funding up
by allowing one person airfare, another lodging, etc. But we hope
that changes down the road and we may then have to modify the
instructions/process. But the priciples would be the same.

- how will the fixed sum/budget be determined if there is a
variable cost of the nom com and GNSO chair travel (eg variable
cost of 3 air tickets and variable days stayed).

We might want to consider allocating funds on a per meeting
basis so we can account for that, since it may vary by meeting.
But the goal would be same, whatever amount is available for
constituency use is split equitably.

- if a new constituency appears in 2009 does the sum/budget to
the old constituencies go down?

The principles use *constituency* as the construct right now, but
once we move to the stakeholder group construct our intent was
that the principles would be modified to reflect that.

- is a travel budget an incentive to form a new constituency?
(Question for the OPS group to consider ?)

When we move to the stakeholder group model the intent was that
the funds would be split evenly across each stakeholder group.
But that may be something we will want to revisit once its better
understood to be sure there is still a fair allocation.

Tim