[council] Fwd: Key Item Missing from 20 Nov Agenda

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Fwd: Key Item Missing from 20 Nov Agenda
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:55:39 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I will be adding this item to the Agenda.

I suggest that we try to gather nominees/volunteers before the meeting and that, if possible, we decide during the meting. If we cannot come to consensus on this during the meeting, we can set up a voting mechanism where the top two nominees are chosen.

I do not believe there is need for restricting this role to the council and given the amount of work we need to do, it might be best if we can find not council members for this work. I suggest that names be sent to the list, though if people prefer, I can receive the names and put out a list before the meeting.

thanks
a.

Begin forwarded message:

Please note the following from the ICANN November Policy Update:

- "At its 7 November meeting in Cairo, the ICANN Board authorized the
formation of a community-wide working group to study and review the
issues related to the definition of the ICANN Geographic Regions,
consult with all stakeholders, and submit proposals for community and
Board consideration relating to the current definition of the ICANN
Geographic Regions. The Board asked that all interested Supporting
Organizations and Advisory Committees nominate two individuals to serve
on the working group."

- "The Board would like to approve the composition of the new working
group at its December meeting. Subsequently, the Board expects the
working group, as its first order of business, to draft and seek
community input on a proposed charter, and submit the draft document for
community review. The Board would like to consider and approve the
charter at the March 2009 Board meeting in Mexico City. In drafting the
charter, the Board expects the working group to focus, but not limit,
its work on the criteria for assigning countries, dependencies and
recognized geopolitical entities to a Geographic Region."