Re: [council] Motion re Extension of Public Comment Periods

  • To: "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Motion re Extension of Public Comment Periods
  • From: "Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza" <caffsouza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 07:02:41 -0200
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=YXvXge0AZUsW9QSwcyTPDSXO/WVqzEvK8adjV0bDsO4=; b=hNBFoFQCblpRmOiyilxoczfKP3QmLKn7c2SZwtQfJFSjijwGB2rykPwoEZgea+sR++ cCwJ/wu+w8M0lCivm/XGLrhJZMbgST9eCO4f559u5AJraU4waKstDhDutQHD9koqtTeH 7Hzfvv3aBGqqt324M1GmoNZ7NcSDLjpRmBuTM=
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Of course we should aim at clarity at all times and not the at the
particular technics of a certain legal term.

In any case, "suspension" is commonly used in opposition to "interruption"
of a term so as to communicate that the time that has passed before an event
or circumstance that suspended it is taken into account for the counting of
the term after the event/circumstance ends. Its the difference between a
"pause" (to suspend a term) and a "stop" (interruption - when you count the
term all over again after the event/circumstance).

But I understand that we are not requesting the suspension or interruption
of the term, but just a plain 7-day extension after the Meetings. It is much
more simple and useful. As I am quite certain that we all would like to have
such extension in all cases in which a overlap occurs, I totally agree with
the wording of the proposed motion v.3.

The GNSO Council strongly urges ICANN Staff to extend, for seven days, any
public comment periods which overlap with any of the seven days of an ICANN
meeting.