[council] Request for an Issues Report on the recovery of expired domain names

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Request for an Issues Report on the recovery of expired domain names
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:38:42 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At its October 14th teleconference, the ALAC voted to request an Issues Report on the subject of registrants being able to recover domain names after their formal expiration date. Details can be found at https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?recovery_of_expired_domain_names.

The motion calls for the draft request to be revised before and at the Cairo ICANN meeting. A number of people have already volunteered to work on the initial effort, and unless I hear otherwise, will assume that they will continue to do so (I will verify).

The ALAC formed a small Working Group. According to the motion "The working group may include representatives from At-Large, GNSO constituencies and other interested individuals but due to tight time constraints, will be limited to those with specific knowledge of the subject being discussed." If anyone else would like to participate, please let me know.

If any GNSO constituencies wish to formally support this ALAC initiative, we will gladly append a short statement of support to the Request when it is submitted.

Regards, Alan