Re: [council] Re; Impovements plan - a comment on the compositon of the OSC

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

On 10 Oct 2008, at 08:22, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

I don't think I would oppose this amendment as along as 'the
requirements that need to be met to achieve this status' are clearly and objectively defined to include reasonable evidence that the group would be representative of a larger community stakeholder group. Some of the
reasons against adding this amendment are: 1) the SCs could become too
large to be effective;

I do not believe that we will have that many constituencies that will qualify. But this is assuming that we create a reasonable set of criteria and a formal process for introducing new constituencies.

2) it depends on a definition that we will not
have until after we act on the motion;

I think the plan needs to require that this definition be developed, and I think the language I offered does this. What I believe is important at this point is the principle of openness and inclusion.

3)the real work on implementation
is going to happen at the Working Team level, not in the SCs, and the
Working Teams should be open to all just WGs are.

But decisions on what to charter, and a determination of when a charter is met or is problematic will be defined in the OSC. As we have seen in other cases, this activity can be quite critical and quite problematic. And to borrow from an example given in another email, if the OSC were to charter a group to look into making rules for SGs that prohibited the participation of faith based constituencies, this could be something where the existence of that charter could be relevant to a group that had met all the existing pre- conditions becoming a prospective constituency-in-formation.

Additionally, I think that having these end game candidate constituencies in the OSC also allows for a better view of their real seriousness and the level to which they are ready to participate and can play well with others. I.e. I believe that those trying to determine whether to grant full constituency status will gain insight from having candidates participate as observers - though that is not my reason for suggesting the amendment.

Of course I do not have a second for this yet, so it may be a moot point.

a.