[council] Call for volunteers for ICANN Geographic Regions drafting group

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Call for volunteers for ICANN Geographic Regions drafting group
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:28:20 -0700
  • Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear All,

At the GNSO Council meeting on 17 July, the Council agreed to form a drafting
team in response to the ICANN Board request on ICANN Geographic Regions as set
out below.

The group is open to Councillors, constituency members and interested community
participants.
Chuck Gomes and Olga Cavalli have already volunteered to be on the drafting
team.

Please let me know whether you would like to join this drafting team with Rob
Hoggarth as staff support by Thursday 31 July so that we can identify a regular
meeting schedule.

"The Board recognized that any potential change to ICANN Geographic Regions
would have "wide-spread effect" in ICANN and that it should seek the views of
the other Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees before taking
further action. The ICANN Board directed Staff to summarize and analyze that
community input and to subsequently prepare a report for consideration to the
Board.

The GNSO is kindly requested to provide input, if any, on the suggested
formation of a community wide working group, and its mandate.

Staff is targeting a Board report, summarizing all responses received, by early
September. We hope that the GNSO will be able to provide input on the relative
importance of the Geographic Regions structure to the At-Large community in
general and to the value of a community-wide working group specifically, by
that time. We expect that the proposed working group, if ultimately formed,
will reach out to the broader community to seek further input and perspectives."

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Glen

Glen de Saint Géry