RE: [council] "Improvements" Planning Efforts
- To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: RE: [council] "Improvements" Planning Efforts
- From: Ute Decker <udecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:56:08 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Acceptlanguage: en-US
- Cc: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <6F962650-0132-4C60-96D7-732D577075F4@acm.org>
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- References: <6F962650-0132-4C60-96D7-732D577075F4@acm.org>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AciJKq+5n4VflrukQHmkL662czq+lQF+2nWQ
- Thread-topic: [council] "Improvements" Planning Efforts
In preparation of this week's Council call, I would like to volunteer to
contribute to the work of the planning group because I think this is one of the
most important and urgent work items and because I believe that there is a
merit in broadening this out to all constituencies that care to be represented.
I realize that some see downsides in adding one member per constituency -
however constituencies are the structure we have at the moment and I would hope
that having more than one representative from e.g. 'the commercial side' will
not distract in any way from the constructive character of the work going
From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Avri Doria
Sent: 18 March 2008 18:56
To: Council GNSO
Subject: [council] "Improvements" Planning Efforts
Attached a copy of a message that is being sent to the Board concerning work
that is beginning on the GSNO Improvements. As you will note we
have started a planning group together with the staff. This group
to be doing the high level planning of how we will organize the main work of
the GNSO Improvements Project, and will not be responsible for any substantive
decisions or recommendations about the improvements themselves.
Currently Chuck and I as well as several members of the ICANN Policy staff,
including Denise, Liz and Rob, are members of this group. This is just the
core of this group. We have invited the Board BGC GNSO Review Working Group to
add a member to this group and need to add more GNSO members.
We want to satisfy three goals simultaneously in adding members to the group;
- insure that a diverse set of perspectives is included in the planning group
- include some participants with relevant organizational experience
- keep the group small.
In the GNSO Improvements Project we will not need to restrict ourselves to
council members, but for this planning committee, I would suggest that we do
choose from among council members and constituency members.
I also think that adding a person from each constituency might be unwieldy and
hope that we can limit participation to a few people who can be trusted in this
planning task by several constituencies. As you can read in the note below, we
are planing to organize several other Standing Committees and other work teams
and there will be a large number of opportunities for participation by council
members, constituency members, and others in the ICANN community in the groups
making the actual recommendations.
I would like to initiate conversations on the list on the designation of 2-3
other members of this group. I would like to resolve this as soon as possible,
with resolution during our upcoming meeting at the latest if not before.