Re: [council] Advance question for the 28 Feburary call

  • To: Rita Rodin <Rita.Rodin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Chuck Gomes <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Advance question for the 28 Feburary call
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:00:29 -0800
  • Cc: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Rita and Chuck,

I've also got two issues for Rita to address during the call:

1.  Free expression and new top-level domains.
- In your view should ICANN institute a "one-size-fits-all" policy prohibiting domain names considered "immoral" or "contrary to public order" in any part of the world? How should ICANN take into account the different legal and social systems at the local level to develop a global policy for introducing new top-level domains?

2. ICANN & human rights.
- Could ICANN build more protections for human rights into its governance structure by incorporating guarantees found in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights into its corporate Bylaws? How can we ensure protection for fundamental values in an entity that is a legal corporation (such as ICANN)?

Thank you,
Robin