RE: [council] RE: Tim's response regarding the third amendment

  • To: "Gomes,Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] RE: Tim's response regarding the third amendment
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:28:24 -0700
  • Cc: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Edmon Chung <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I finally understand this correctly, the question is:

a) Should there similarly be only a single IDN ccTLD for a given script
for each territory or can there be multiple IDN ccTLD strings? For
example, should there be only one equivalent of .cn in Chinese script
for China or .ru in Cyrillic for Russia?

And the current response is:

Yes, the GNSO believes that there should be only one string per ISO
3166-1 entry per relevant script.

And the suggested change to the proposed response is:

Yes, the GNSO believes that there should be only one string per ISO
3166-1 entry per relevant script., except in those cases where one
script is used for multiple languages and governmental policy makes
selecting a single string inappropriate. Measures must be taken to limit
confusion and collisions due to variants.

I am not suggesting we don't answer the question. I am suggesting that
we stick with the current response.

Tim