Re: [council] Enfranchising absent voters

Chuck,

I'd like to comment on when to vote, so the change proposed in allowing delayed votes.

As it happens in real life (presidential or congress/senate elections), I'd propose that whoever needs to cast an e-vote, does it before the council meeting. Then e-votes are disclosed once the people present in the council meeting have voted. This may have some CONs as early availability of documents and crystal clear statements on "what" to vote, but effectively dismantles any issue regarding "gaming" and offers much more transparency.

If because of whatever reason (quorum, phone issues, etc) presential poll has to be delayed, e-votes are destroyed.

If a Constituency has not agreed a vote due to internal division, poll might be postponed to next meeting. To avoid obstructionism, a given constituency (or individual) can only claim once to postpone that given votation. And any given votation can only be delayed (by constituency or individual request) twice.

This implies keeping the sentence as "An e-vote may only be cast by a member absent from the Council meeting."

Comments ?

jordi

Rosette, Kristina wrote:
Chuck,

It's an intriguing idea.  I agree that we need to take a look at how to
best address the scenarios you raise.
Having said that, it is my view that the Board would likely reject our
entire e-voting request if we try to incorporate more into it than is
necessary to address the problem we're trying to solve -- enfranchising
absent Councilors.
I do have significant concerns about gaming.  There is also the
possibility that one Constituency could significantly delay a vote - not
through any bad faith intent but as a result of internal division that
prevents a single "constituency position" or a tendency to defer action
until absolutely necessary.

Kristina -----Original Message-----