RE: [council] Fwd: Letter on behalf of Hagen Hultzsch re job description for open GNSO Council position in 2008

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Fwd: Letter on behalf of Hagen Hultzsch re job description for open GNSO Council position in 2008
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:23:23 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Let me take a crack at getting the discussion started.

First of all, in my opinion it would seem to be helpful to differentiate
between baseline job criteria that would apply to all candidates and
variable criteria that would be based on near term needs of the Council.
Here are some of my initial ideas in this regard that hopefully clarify
what I am suggesting.

Baseline Criteria

These criteria should include basic skill sets and minimal knowledge
that facilitate discussion of GNSO issues without the need to educate
individual Councilors before effective discussion can happen.  Some are
a  couple of examples:

*
        Basic understanding of the DNS - We do not need technical DNS
experts, but a minimal understanding of the DNS is needed to effectively
function on the Council.
*
        Demonstrated experience working effectively in collaborative
environments involving diverse interests.

Variable Criteria

These criteria should primarily focus on skill sets and areas of
expertise that may be missing on the Council in the next few years.
They could vary each year depending on the projected makeup of the
Council.  Forgive me for using names but I think that two people
illustrate this need best, one just-departed Councilor and one current
Councilor: 1) Cary Karp played an essential role during the last few
years in providing IDN expertise; 2) Jon Bing's expertise in the
intergovernmental arena provided clarity that was very useful.  In both
cases, we would have probably had to seek outside expertise if they were
not on the Council.  Here are some possible areas for future needs:

*
        Intergovernmental expertise (especially if Jon is not
re-nominated by the NomCom)
*
        IDN expertise
*
        Understanding of the special needs of financial services
businesses; this could possibly come from the BC, but it is not always
possible for constituencies to elect Councilors from all key areas they
represent.

Ideally it would be nice to get candidates that meet all of the variable
criteria but that seems impossible considering the diverse needs even in
the short list I provided.  So it would be important to communicate to
the NomCom that candidates meeting any subset of the variable criteria
would be welcome.

Areas of special expertise that seem to be well covered now and
predictably in the next few years include: registry and registrar
operations; intellectual property; legal; civil society; e-commerce
businesses; developing economies; etc.

Chuck Gomes