[council] On question of whether Whois Motion # 2 from Kristina Rosette is 'out of order'

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] On question of whether Whois Motion # 2 from Kristina Rosette is 'out of order'
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:32:17 -0400
  • Cc: "Daniel E. Halloran" <halloran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

After some email discussion with Legal counsel, we have determined that this motion is not out of order.

While it may be argued, as Ross does, that such a decision is counter to the obligations under the by-laws there are no parliamentary mechanisms in the by-laws to allow for a call of 'out of order' or any other formal objection mechanism. If the majority of the council agrees that it is an inappropriate motion, then the council members should simply vote against the motion.

The by-laws give the council a great deal of leeway in how we conduct our deliberations, and the idea of deciding part way through our deliberations that we do not have enough information is an option that is not ruled out by the by-laws. In fact the action of convening the Whois WG itself was such an extension of the post Task Force deliberative process and while not everyone agreed with it, it was not against any clause of the by-laws. The by-laws stipulate that we must vote, but they are silent on the nature or contents of the vote or on the activities that the council engages in as part of the deliberative process leading up to the vote.

I thank Dan Halloran for his help on this issue. And if I misinterpreted any of his advice, the error is completely mine and I hope he will correct me.

a.