Re: [council] Proposed Motion for draft Final Report on Whois and Voting in LA

Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:
> Ross, are you arguing that it is appropriate to vote on your motion that
> recommends an option (removing contract provisions) not considered by
> the TF or WG, yet it is not appropriate to vote on a motion that
> recommends further factfinding as suggested by the WG and the GAC?

I apologize if I have confused you Mike. Hopefully I can clarify. I've objected to the motion put forward by the BC on the basis that it diverts us from the process specified in the PDP.

The motion I've put forward makes no such error and sets forth a plan of action in response to the likely condition that the Council does not agree on a path forward. If there is a path forward, I will withdraw the motion. If there is no path forward, I would like to vote on it.

> I object to your motion on the grounds that such an option was not
> discussed by the TF or WG, is not mentioned in either report, and
> therefore has not been presented as an option for consideration by
> Council at this time.  At minimum Council needs guidance as to likely
> impacts from implementation of such an option, before we reasonably can
> consider it.

I'm sure Avri will rule on this in due time but I will note that there is no procedural or bylaws requirement for the Council to refer to the PDP in the event that they wish to communicate a non-binding advisory to the Board. As such, I'm not really sure how this objection is itself in order.

To the extent that anyone disagrees with the proposal I've made, I would strongly encourage you to vote against it, or at least propose an amendment that you might consider voting for.

Mike Rodenbaugh