Re: [council] Issues Report on Domain Tasting
- To: Maria Farrell <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [council] Issues Report on Domain Tasting
- From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 13:18:13 -0400
- Cc: "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <004601c7a209$aa1819a0$0ec6f6d5@scarlet>
- Organization: Tucows Inc.
- References: <004601c7a209$aa1819a0$0ec6f6d5@scarlet>
- Reply-to: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Thunderbird 188.8.131.52 (Macintosh/20070326)
Maria Farrell wrote:
Dear Council members,
Attached is the Issues Report on Domain Name Tasting requested by the
At-Large Advisory Committee on 9
As a backgrounder, this document is very useful. Thank you very much.
I would like to better understand what the policy implications are
however. As contrast, when we voted to initiated the Transfers PDP, we
understood that domain name portability was desirable, and that policy
action was required to preserve and augment domain name portability. We
are able to measure the success of that policy development process by
examining the degree to which domain name portability has been preserved
However, after reading this document, I do not understand what the
policy implications are related to domain tasting. Is this an
availability issue? An economic one? Are there privacy implications?
Intellectual property concerns? Before I can vote to proceed with a PDP
on this subject, I would like to reasonably understand what the
objectives and drivers are, but unfortunately, this issues report
doesn't really give me enough of a sense of the issues to guess at what
the policy outcomes might look like.