Re: [council]

On 18 jan 2007, at 05.54, Liz Williams wrote:

It is my recommendation that the two streams of work -- reserved names that relate to new TLDs and reserved names that relate to existing registries -- be treated as two separate projects.

I would recommend that the GNSO Council consider launching a formal PDP on reserved names in existing registries -- rather than a Working Group -- and prioritise that work according to the Council's program which includes the IDN WG, the new TLDs Committee, the WHOIS working group and the PDP Feb 06.

I agree with this sort of approach. I think that in meantime those who want to think about the issues of SLD reserved name policy can work in ad hoc groups.

I would note, and the GNSO calendar confirms, that we have an extremely tight schedule of work on new TLDs, PDP Feb 06, the IDN WG and the WHOIS committee. We have a limited number of constituency members to populate working groups and I would hope that we could complete at least one of the four active pieces of work on the Council's agenda prior to taking on another formal PDP.

I definately agree, from the perspective of the continuing interim chair of one of the feb06 effort, getting enough people to attend the meetings is becoming a challenge. This is largely, I believe because everyone is doing too much. And while there are suggestions that we need more volunteers to participate in the group, a sentiment i agree with, we need to face the same reality that every other volunteer needs to face - there are only so many people (or companies) who are willing to donate the time needed to do a good job. Also a number of the people who participate have broad enough interests or motivations that the will want/need to participate in most ongoing efforts - I count myself in that category as I feel that as a Nomcom appointee it is the responsibility of a volunteer to participate as much as possible during the years of service.

I think it might be a good council self regulation (or is that a motivator?) to say that we should not pick up another activity until we finish at least one of the ongoing activities. We have 3 that should terminate during or soon after Lisbon, so we should be in good shape on that score. Assuming we finish the work, that is.

a.